Have you heard of The Data Protection Act 1998? If you haven’t and your business involves using people’s personal information then…
Do you want companies to use your personal data inappropriately? I am pretty sure I know the answer to that! Of course not! Think about all the implications like identity theft.
The Act controls how people’s personal information is being used by businesses, organisations or the government.
The Data Protection Act principles
– People’s data is used fairly and lawfully.
– Data is used for limited, specifically stated purposes.
– It is used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive.
– Kept for no longer than absolutely necessary.
– Handled according to people’s data protection rights.
– Kept safe and secure.
– Not transferred outside the EEA without adequate protection.
Does it apply to you?
Most businesses operate online these days in which case it most definitely will apply.
Are you a self-employed electrician offering your services in your area and not handling any personal information? Then probably it won’t apply. Are you a recruitment agency? Then it will definitely 100% apply!
ICO website offers plenty of information and advice including a best practice checklist for small companies, have a look! If it applies to you, you must register with ICO , follow the link or copy and paste the link into your browser https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/register/If you are unsure, take the quick self-assessment (use same link) or just give them a ring, I am sure they will be happy to help.
Or, if you are still not sure, just register! Better safe than sorry, right?
Subscribe to my newsletter